Even though I haven't been blogging about it, there has been quite a bit of knitting going on here. Not to mention the acquisition of yarns and other paraphernalia.
Let's start with the money-spending part.
This is Scarf Style, which I started coveting when I saw Midwest Moonlight for the first time. Now, after thumbing through it several times, there are at least 10 patterns I'd like to knit and possibly about half of these that I'd actually wear. But since the scarf season is soon going to end, I put that on the backburner for now.
Well, not all scarves really. The two skeins of yarn in the picture are Rowan's Scottish Tweed 4-Ply (which I simply couldn't resist, with me being in Scotland and all), in a great turquoise colour. At first I though this would be just right for me, but now I'm more thinking my mother. I can't quite get over my fixation with all kinds of red yet.
Of course, I only have 2 skeins, so that won't be enough for anything proper and the shop where I bought it doesn't have any more of that colour. That didn't stop me from starting a project in that yarn.
The Lead or Follow Lace Scarf, the pattern for which I bought at www.knittingzone.com. I'm quite happy with how it's turning out and I'm planning to buy more of that yarn when I'm in London at the end of the month. Even if it's not the same dyelot, I doubt it'll be a big problem if I use the two skeins I have at the moment as the first and last skein.
Then I couldn't keep my hands off of some other Rowan yarn: Tapestry. The colour changes are absolutely stunning and I started working the same pattern as above in it.
It does look good once it's blocked, but the yarn itself is bothersome to work with. Very, very splitty and doesn't withstand frogging very well. It's a 70% wool/30% soybean protein fibre and just incredibly soft and a bit shiny, but I'm not sure I'll buy more to finish the scarf. (Only bought one because I wanted to try it out first and see if the colour changes were too distractng for the patterns. Since they're pretty long, I don't think they are, btw.)
Okay, one more money-spending part, and then I think I'll wait with the rest for the next post (hopefully before London). I've been trying to find a lace-weight yarn for ages, because the lace bug has bitten me and I just want to finally knit a proper lace shawl. As I'm not the shawl type, my mum's 60th birthday this year seems like the perfect opportunity for one.
This is a 100% merino wool yarn from Lane Borgosesia and it's just so soft, it's incredible. A 100g hank of 1350m that I can't wait to try out. But that'll have to wait until I get to my parents for Easter since my swift and ballwinder are there and I certainly don't want to risk tangling this hank. The colour is a bit darker than I expected, but after looking at it for a bit. I really fell in love with the berry quality of this.
And in this pic you can even see a bit of the plying with a darker colour. Very subtle and very pretty.
And more yarn is on the way. Along with the yarn above, I also ordered a skein of Fiddlesticks Zephyr in ebony (yeah, I know. Knitting in black laceweight is nuts), two skeins each of Lorna's Laces Sock in Black Purl and Cranberry, one skein of Schaefer Anne Nr 166, and two skeins of sockyarn from Wollmeise, one in Poison Nr. 5 and one in Wilder Mohn (Wild Poppy). I'm going to be very poor and very happy soon.
Okay, that's it for today. Next time: Socks and picot edges.














No comments:
Post a Comment