Thursday, September 25, 2008

London

I'm not sure what to write about I Knit Day and the trip to London in general. Most of it was simply overwhelming and I feel like I'm not a good enough writer to do the experience justice. I certainly can't do a picture only post, because I was a bad blogger that way as well (let's not talk about what kind of blogger I am for only posting about it now, okay?). Most of the time I forgot I even had a camera. Would listing all my yarn purchases be enough? ;) But then, maybe I should stop dithering and just write down what comes to my mind.

The Harlot

This was something I was most looking forward to even though I was a bit worried at the same time. I do like her books and have read all of them (except the new one, which isn't out in Europe yet) and read her blog every day, so sometimes some of her opinions and ideas aren't new to me and I didn't want to sit through one and a half hours of repetitiveness.

I needn't have worried.

Stephanie had quite a lot of new material, but I think her ability to capitivate the audience is really best shown when she was telling stories I already knew. Because it wasn't repetitive at all. Her interaction with the audience and the liveliness of her presentation made it funny, thought-provoking and exhilarating all at once, giving even older ideas a new dimension and completely captivating me with her new ones.

I also noticed the most curious phenomenon. Usually, time drags on when you're not having fun and flying by when you're having fun. I've never known time to move slowly while having a blast. And that is exactly what happened. I'd look at my watch and realise that only 15 minutes had gone by since the last time and would just be so damn happy that I still had more to look forward to. Congratulations, Stephanie, you've managed to make time behave in inexplicable ways (maybe that could be used somehow for Christmas knitting?)!

The Stash

Of course, there was also yarn buying. Lots of yarn buying. And since I'm back here there has been even more buying. My goal for this month of negative stash acquisition, makes me snort fall down laughing hysterically since I'm somewhere around 7,600 yards for this month and I'm expecting more still.

But enough talking and let's simply enjoy the pictures.

Bought almost as soon as I arrived in London on the Friday at Stash Yarns.

Left: ShibuiKnits Sock in 2 different, but very similar colourways - plan to make stripey socks out of these
Top to bottom:
Dream in Colour Smooshy in In Vino Veritas - lace scarf of some sort
Misti Alpaca Handpaint Fingering - socks for my Mum since she loves green
Noro Kureyon Sock - which somehow made it onto the picture even though I didn't buy it at Stash, but the same day at John Lewis

Then at I Knit Day, there wasn't only the Harlot, of course, but also lots of vendors, with lots of yarn.

And while I was good at the beginning towards the end my resistance got low and I splurged on quite a bit of silk yarn.

Left to right:
Knitwitches 100% Pure Silk Laceweight in Grapes - Crest of the Wace Lace Scarf
Fleece Artist Italian Silk
Fyberspates 100% Laceweight Silk - possibly Ring of Lace Wrap
The Knittery Merino Slim Socks in Merlot
Pagewood Fram Alyeska in Navajo

But not enough with the splurging while I was in London, since I've been back in Trier that impulse hasn't abated in the slightest.

Top left: Patricia sock yarn - pretty generic, very cheap, but incredibly soft
Top right: Schoeller + Stahl Ronda - a shiny wool/rayon mix that is going to be Interlocking Balloons from Scarf Style

I already posted about KnittyBitty, which now also has KnitPick's yarns and here is my order.
Left to right:
SWTC Tofutsies - Shetland Shell Lace Scarf
KnitPick's Alpaca Cloud in Tide Pool - Laminaria
KnitPick's Shimmer in Sherry - Colourfull Splendor

But that's still not all. Since then two skeins of Plymouth Sockotta have arrived from Birds-n-Yarn...















... and I'm waiting on

3 skeins of Elann Peruvian Baby Cashmere to finally start Henry
2 skeins of Elann Pure Bamboo for some lace project
2 skeins of Cascade Eco Wool to make Hemlock Ring Blanket
1 skein of Malabrigo Lace for Midwest Moonlight from Scarf Style
4 skeins of Malabrigo Worsted to knit Here and There Cables from Scarf Style

ETA later that day: The Malabrigo yarn just arrived. OMG, it's pretty! I can't wait to start knitting!
1 sock flat
2 skeins of Rowan Cashsoft 4-ply to make Odessa mittens for my best friend

You exhausted yet? :D I am, so more about some actual knitting soon.

No comments: